Thursday, January 2, 2014

More Fun in Hawaii

This post is to fill in some of the activities that didn't fit with the others.

It was sometimes hard to remember that it was winter while in the tropics. Justin had never spent a Christmas in a warm climate, and while I have a few times, it is still a bit odd to me as well. Waking up to the sound of the surf is a pretty nice Christmas present though, don't you think?

When I was younger, especially, my family would make doughnuts for Santa instead of cookies, and that is something I have always loved to do. This year, though, Justin and I brought a Korean treat to make for Christmas Eve. We made Hoddeok which is a popular Korean street-food snack that is like a doughnut with cinnamon and nuts inside. It was a hit and maybe a new tradition?

Christmas morning we read Luke 2, opened presents, and got to Skype with my Grandma and her husband, Tim. We always read Luke 2 on Christmas morning in my family, but I have been struck this year by the fact that the Gospel story does not begin with the birth of Christ. It started at the beginning. Creation. This Christmas we got to see more of God's creation through Hawaii. What a precious gift we got to enjoy - along with celebrating the birth of the Messiah. We spent the afternoon on a beautiful beach and the evening eating juicy steaks.

Steaks for dinner on Christmas Day.

Most of you know I love sports. What you may not know is that sports are one of the things I miss most from the States. So while some of you may think it was a waste of time to watch both a Taylor basketball game and a Colts game while in Hawaii, it was a blessing to me!

We had the TUBB game loaded on 3 computers so we could all see and hear.

Another thing my family loves to do is play Mini Golf. I think all of us would say that we have never played a course like this one before, though. Not one of us got a single hole-in-one! It was HARD but so fun!

I almost got a hole-in-one on this hole.

1 comment:

  1. it was so fun to journey with you through all of your Hawaii posts, Meg! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete