Friday, March 29, 2013

Helmet Diving

I have seen Helmet Diving on cruises before, but it was always really expensive, so we never did it. I always thought it looked awesome though. I love snorkeling, and this just seemed even better. When we decided to go to Boracay I found a website that offered various water sports and activities, including Helmet Diving, but for a fraction of the cost I was used to. I immediately told Justin that I wanted to try it.

So one day, Laura, Justin and I headed out on a small boat, just the three of us, and had no idea what this was going to be like. The boat took us out to this small dock-sort-of-thing a ways off the shore. To transfer from the boat to the dock, they put a narrow board for you to walk on - with no hand rail. After Laura almost fell off, they finally helped us across. We saw these big yellow helmets sitting on the floor, and I just started laughing as I imagined us wearing them.

Then the guy began instructing us on what to do and how it worked. We were all fine until we realized that there is nothing really keeping the water out. It is literally just a helmet that they place on your head - nothing closes around your neck. He made it sound so natural and started talking about what to do if your ears are popping - do the normal thing, like when you're on a plane. If that doesn't work, he said to reach your hand up inside the helmet and plug your nose and blow out. That's when I got nervous. I thought...if I can easily reach my hand inside the helmet, how is water not in there??? Before I even finished that thought, we were up and getting in the water. They plop the helmet on your head and you pretty much sink about 15 feet under water. Amazingly (but of course), no water came in. I ended up LOVING it. They guy down with us gave us food to feed the fish out of our hands - so cool. It really was better than snorkeling, I thought (I will still never pass up the chance to do that either).

Enjoy some photos of our underwater experience. As weird as it was, it was also one of the coolest things I've done. To walk on the ocean floor (although not that deep) and be so close to the fish was incredible.

on our way out

Laura underwater

Justin and I underwater




 
Feeding the fish


A video of feeding the fish!


No comments:

Post a Comment